LANDBACK is a movement that has existed for generations with a long legacy of organizing and sacrifice to get Indigenous Lands back into Indigenous Hands. Currently, there are LandBack battles being fought all across Turtle Island, to the north and the South.
Speak for Wolves stands in solidarity with the LandBack movement by recognizing the contributions that Indigenous people make towards protecting wildlife and this land that we are settlers and guests upon, and by recognizing how white supremacy and systematic racism permeates conservation of wildlife and the land. We recognize that to truly dismantle white supremacy and systems of oppression, we have to go back to the roots of history and put Indigenous lands back in Indigenous hands – including the wildlife and “natural resources” within that land.
Dig deeper into the LANDBACK movement:
- LAND BACK! What do we mean?
- What does land restitution mean?
- Giving Land Back is Really the Bottom Line
- Land Reparations & Indigenous Solidarity Toolkit
- The “Landback” Movement Would Return Stolen Land to Indigenous Stewardship
- Portland leaders insist they are responding to the concerns of Native Americans
- Returning the Land
Examples of LandBack successes:
- Nez Perce Tribe gets more Wallowa County homeland back
- Grande Ronde Reclaims Willamette Falls
- Four Case Studies of Land Back in Action
- PBS 2-part series (videos):
Explore the Native Land map
This is a living document. We acknowledge that we are in a process of continual learning. As we learn more, we will do better.